Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Show

As I sat in the stands, in shear agony, I wondered---are there other parents in this place who are ready to run out on the ball court and snatch up their child and run out the doors? Are there? Oh my GRACIOUS Lord, sweet Jesus please let this game be over. These are the very words I screamed in my head as I watched my 5 year old daughter play her first, ever sport, basketball.

You may think that I am overreacting. Well, let's see...during the first half hour (which is the practice portion) she runs onto the court without her team, rolls around on the court and decides that she is thee only one she must acknowledge. The rest of us are all just bystanders, peering into the world of "let's set mommy crazy" starring "The Princess". Yep, and as if that weren't show enough, during her game (while she was suppose to be sitting on the bench) she sprints across the court only to run over to another ball court where another game is taking place. There she decided that one of the teams needed a sixth man.

OMGRACIOUS!  I know I said that once already but, holy moly, I was praying for the second coming because I just could not take the agony, not one more second. That practice/game was the longest hour I have ever experienced.  I had to send my husband out of the gym because his every word (not in silence) was "what is that girl doing, what-in-the-world is she doing"! Now, either we are just too old for this stuff or she was just off the chain, either way, I wanted to cry because I knew we were coming back the following Saturday to do this show again.  Oh, the humanity.

So, after a week of practicing at home, a whole lotta prayin, much discussion about what she should be doing on the court, and  some good essential oils (can't hurt to rub the girl down and pray--dear Lord Jesus help this child) we arrived at game number 2. I must say, I was much more relaxed. She made it through the practice portion, somewhat, focused with no 'show'.  She made it through the first 15 minutes of the game, no 'show'...now we're truckin....OH but wait...NO....who decides to join us, none other than, The Princess.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, The Princess had arrived and decided, once again, that it was time for the "let's set mommy crazy" show.

That girl ran down the court giving some kid the double fingers to the eye move---you know, the I'm watching you move, TWICE. I hear parents laughing behind me saying, "did you see that girl give that boy the I'm watching you" fingers.  Laugh now, it only gets better. The Princess got stopped for stealing the ball (a no no in this kids league). As she sat the bench she decided to follow up with the 'kick a different ball onto the court' move, proceeded by the 'I'm gonna lay right here on the court' move, and the BIG finish was the 'let's make the other teams coach chase me for the ball' move. And, that, my friends, was THEE longest 15 minutes in the history of all time. The beauty of it all is that we get to do it all again next Saturday. OMGRACIOUS, sweet Lord Jesus....(if you are a praying people now would be the time to say a few).

As always,
Be good to yourself and a blessing to others

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like she has all kinds of energy, mental and physical.... lol This will pass when she learns the rules of the game:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...I am trusting that every week will get better. Less show and more game.

      Delete