Thursday, February 21, 2013

It Was An Accident...

Why do we "accident" ourselves into disaster?  We are so far removed from personal responsibility that we don't even see when we are at fault.  Everything we see, say, and do is one big OOPS. Oops, I know I am dieting but my husband just purchased a large pizza and I ate 1/2 of it. Oops, I just accidentally had sex with someone that wasn't my spouse.  Oops, I just accidentally shot my girlfriend numerous times, but judge, I thought she was a burglar, hiding in the bathroom screaming. It was all an accident. How old are we, 5?  No, we are grown people living in a world that allows us to be irresponsible. My 3 year old knows the difference between an accident---pottying in his pants at nap time---and intentional behavior---standing outside, buck-naked, peeing in the yard.  Big difference.

The problem is that everyone thinks that everyone else is the culprit but we don't want to admit we are just as irresponsible as our friend, neighbor or the guy we pass on the street. Truth? The truth is that we cry, 'it was an accident' only when we get caught in the act of wrong-doing.  Case in point, the other day my son got busted out by his sister---he finger painted his room with a mix of Ovaltene, chocolate drink mix and water....well it looks like poo, although it was not because The Princess would certainly have taken greater pleasure in announcing the finger paint job if her baby brother had used poo. At any rate, what was an intentional act (because that boy knew good and well what he was doing was wrong) turned out to be an accident when he was confronted---oh mommy mommy I so sawry, it was a assident (in the his best 3yr old voice). Isn't it funny that, as adults, we still operate like that.

My accidental, late night, food binges have been the catalyst to my overweight disaster (along with those blasted mint m&ms). Tiger Woods' plethora of affairs was the disaster to his failed marriage and tarnished career. Mr. Olympian Blade Runner, Oscar Pistorius' rage was his disaster, as it resulted in him killing his girlfriend. And let's not forget the chick, Jodi Arias, who stabbed her boyfriend 27 times, and says it was an accident....she doesn't remember any of it or parts of it or the past is jumbled up with the present...yada yada yada. Come on! We have all arrived at our disasters, in great part, by our own doing. Man up. Woman Up. You are NOT 300 lbs on accident---never (well, maybe if you are Fat Man from the Austin Powers movie, I guess telling grown folk to 'get in my belly' can put the weight on quickly, especially if you miscalculated the fat/calorie content--- and yes, I know that wasn't his name, hush).  The fact of the matter is, the devil did not make you do it and there are no green monsters hiding under your bed. We all need to decide that we are going to be responsible for our own actions. In the spirit of Lent, regardless if you are religious or not, let us all give up irresponsibility.  Being responsible has no age limit, big or small, we all have it in us to know, understand, and accept right from wrong.

Let me start, I am responsible for my body, my finances, my beautiful children, my madness (actually my husband and children have a hand in that), my words and my well-being. No one else can make me or break me, other than God Almighty. Now, your turn.

Until next time,
Be good to yourself and a blessing to  others.

No comments:

Post a Comment